Hossein Alizadeh, born in Tehran (Iran) in 1951, studied with various masters of traditional Persian music including Ali Akbar Khan Shahnazi, Nur Ali Borumand, Abdollah Davami, Mahmood Karimi, and Houshang Zarif.
He further expanded his formal education by studying composition and musicology at the University of Berlin. Alizadeh was awarded a position with the National Orchestra of Iran and later became the conductor and soloist of the Iranian National Radio and Television Orchestra.
He founded the Aref Ensemble and performed with the Shayda Ensemble, both dedicated to the promotion and advancement of Iranian classical music, and participated in the orchestra of the Bejart Ballet Company in a performance of Gulistan by Maurice Bejart.
In 2000, the Ministry of Culture in Iran declared him to be the best contemporary artist. He has composed many works of contemporary and neo-classical Iranian music and published a number of etudes for tar and setar.
Notable works include Hessar, Ney Nava and Song of Compassion, as well as film scores for Gabbeh, A Time for Drunken Horses and Turtles Can Fly. In addition, he recorded the entire body of the radif based on the interpretation of Mirza Abdollah.
He has performed extensively throughout the United States of America, Europe and Asia and taught at the University of Tehran, Tehran Music Conservatory and the California Institute of the Arts.
His album Endless Vision received a Grammy nomination for Best World Music Album of 2006.
in 2016 he toured with percussionist Pejman Hadadi.
* Nava (Mahoor Institute, 1976)
* Paykubi (Mahoor Institute, )
* Chahargah & Bayat-e Tork (Mahoor Institute, )
* Savaran-e Dasht-e Omid (Riders of the Plain of Hope)(1977)
* Hamnavayi (Mahoor Institute, )
* Hesar (1977)
* Osyan (Revolt) (1983)
* Dream (1986)
* Torkaman (Mahoor Institute, 1986)
* Raz-o-Niaz (Mahoor Institute, 1986)
* Alizadeh Live at the Los Angeles Festival (Kereshmeh Records, 1995)
* NeyNava / Song of Compassion (Kereshmeh Records, 1995)
* Raz-O-Niaz (Kereshmeh Records, 1995)
* Shourangiz (Song of Campassion) (Mahoor Institute, 1988)
* Iranian Music: Saz-Eno (Buda Musique, 1998)
* Raz-e No (New Secret) (Mahoor Institute, 1999)
* Zemestan ast (It’s Winter) (Soroush Co., 2000)
* Masters of Improvisation (2002)
* Without You (World Village, 2002)
* Sallaneh (Mahoor Institute, 2003)
* Faryad (World Village, 2005)
* Endless Vision (World Village, 2006)
* Ode To Flowers, with Hamavayan Ensemble (Ba Music Records, 2007)
* Half Moon (Ba Music Records, 2009)
* Echoes of Light with Madjid Khaladj (Ba Music Records, 2009)
* Birthplace of Earth, with Hamavayan Ensemble (Ba Music Records, 2010)
* Eşqim Gəl, with Hamavayan Ensemble (2014)
web site: www.hosseinalizadeh.net