Phoenix (Arizona), USA – Three Indian Summer Music Awards (ISMA) were awarded to Canyon Records’ artists and albums. The 3rd Annual Indian Summer Music Awards were presented at the Indian Summer Festival where the winners were announced on Saturday, September 9th, 2006.
The ISMA are devoted to the recognition of both established and emerging artists for their outstanding contributions toward indigenous people’s music. In addition the awards were created to increase awareness of the history and diversity of both traditional and contemporary American Indian culture.This year’s winners include:
- R. Carlos Nakai – Our Beloved Land (with Keola Beamer) – Best Flute Album
- Louie Gonnie – Sacred Mountains : Best Traditional Vocal Album
- Northern Cree – Northern Cree & Friends, Vol. 4 – Slide and Sway – Best Traditional Drum Album
This year’s finalists include:
- Radmilla Cody – Spirit of a Woman – Best Folk Album
- Anthony Wakeman – Butterfly Dreams – Best Flute Album
- Alex Smith & Cheevers Toppah – Intonation – Best Traditional Vocal Album
- Randy Wood – Our Love Will Never Die – Best Traditional Vocal Album
- Clark Tenakhongva – Hoat’Ve’La – Best Traditional Vocal Album
Canyon Records, headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona has produced and distributed traditional and contemporary Native American music for 55 years.
For more information on Canyon visit: www.canyonrecords.com