The album Karin (Muziekpublique) by duduk player Vardan Hovanissian (Armenia) and saz virtuoso Emre Gültek (Belgium, with roots in Turkey) is the number one recording in January 2019 on the Transglobal World Music Chart.
“Karin” is the ancient Armenian name for the town of Erzurum, situated in what is now Turkey. It is the birthplace of Vardan Hovanissian’s grandfather, who was one of 200 survivors following the deportation of around 40,000 residents during the Armenian genocide. The recording is a tribute to the cosmopolitan period in Karin, which was a crossroads for the different cultures that existed along the Silk Road.
The top 10:
- Vardan Hovanissian and Emre Gültek – Karin – Muziekpublique
- Gaye Su Akyol – İstikrarlı Hayal Hakikattir – Glitterbeat
- Afro Celt Sound System – Flight – ECC
- Dhafer Youssef – Sounds of Mirrors – Anteprima
- SANS – Kulku – Cloud Valley
- Moonlight Benjamin – Siltane – Ma Case
- Urna Chahar-Tugchi featuring Kroke – Ser – Urna Chahar-Tugchi / UCT
- Ukandanz – Yeketelale – Buda Musique
- Vigüela – A Tiempo Real – ARC Music
- Bixiga 70 – Quebra-Cabeça – Glitterbeat