Henry Gray was born on January 19, 1925, in Kenner, Louisiana. He created the outline for post World War II Chicago blues piano. Playing for twelve years with legendary Howlin’ Wolf, Henry Gray has remained prominent for decades as an original blues voice in Chicago and Louisiana.
Henry Gray has performed at virtually every New Orleans Jazz & Heritage festival since its beginning. A Grammy Nominee for “A Tribute to Howlin’ Wolf’,” he also performed at Mick Jagger’s 55th birthday party in Paris in 1998 and is featured in Clint Eastwood and Marin Scorsese blues films. Henry received a prestigious National Endowment for the Arts National Heritage Fellowship award in 2006.
In 2015, Delta Groove Music released a selection of collaborations between Henry Gray has and harmonica virtuoso Bob Corritore made over a 19-year period. Vocalists featured include Robert Lockwood Jr., John Brim, Nappy Brown, Tail Dragger and Dave Riley. Guest instrumentalists include Bob Margolin, Kid Ramos, Kirk Fletcher, Big Jon Atkinson, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, Bob Stroger, Chico Chism, June Core, Doug James and others.
* Louisiana Swamp Blues, Vol. 2 (Wolf Records, 1990)
* Blues Won’t Let Me Take My Rest (Lucky Cat Records, 1999)
* Don’t Start That Stuff (Last Call Records, 2000)
* Henry Gray Plays Chicago Blues (Hightone Record, 2001)
* Watch Yourself (Lucky Cat Records, 1999)
* Henry Gray and the Cats: Live in Paris CD/DVD (Lucky Cat Records, 2003)
* The Blues of Henry Gray & Cousin Joe (Storyville Records, 2004)
* Times Are Gettin Hard (Lucky Cat Productions, 2009)
* Lucky Man (Blind Pig, 2011)
* Vol. 1: Blues Won’t Let Me Take My Rest (Delta Groove Music, 2015)
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music and progressive music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel produced several specials for Metropolis (TVE) and co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music and electronic music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World, Lektronic Soundscapes, and Mindchild Records. Angel is currently based in Durham, North Carolina.