Angathin, the new recording by Cypriot band Monsieur Doumani is the number 1 album in April 2018 month at the Transglobal World Music Chart.
Angathin translates as ‘thorn’ and addresses more than ever, the political, social and activist concerns and sensitivities of the group members and it is a call for rebellion against corruption, racism and injustice.
The songs are inspired, among other things, by the unstable political situation on the divided island of Cyprus and the need for peace and reunification, as well as environmental crimes committed in the name of economic growth and profit.
Angathin’s musical language is built on the foundation of traditional Cypriot music but it also includes elements from many other genres such as rock, blues, hip-hop, punk, psychedelia, Balkan music, etc.
The rest of the top albums:
2. El Naán – La Danza de las Semillas – El Naán
3. Gabacho Maroc – Tawassol – 10h10 / Cristal
4. Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 – Black Times – Strut
5. 3MA: Ballaké Sissoko, Driss El Maloumi, Rajery – Anarouz – Six Degrees
6. Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita – Soar – Bendigedig
7. Samurai Accordion – Te – Visage Music
8. Djénéba & Fousco – Kayeba Khasso – Lusafrica
9. TootArd – Laissez Passer – Glitterbeat
10. Okra Playground – Ääneni Yli Vesien – Nordic Notes
11. Son Palenque – Kutu Prieta pa Saranguiá – Palenque
12. Sara Tavares – Fitxadu – Sony Music Portugal
13. Omar Sosa & NDR Bigband – Es:Sensual – Otá
14. Eva Salina & Peter Stan – Sudbina: A portrait of Vida Pavlović – Vogiton
15. Femi Kuti – One People One World – Knitting Factory
16. Koum Tara – Koum Tara – Obradek
17. Kora Jazz Trio – Part IV – Cristal
18. Elena Ledda – Làntias – S’ard Music
19. Park Jiha – Communion – tak:til / Glitterbeat
20. Guy One – #1 – Philophon
More about the chart: www.transglobalwmc.com
Author: World Music Central News Department
World music news from the editors at World Music Central