Ånon Egeland was born in Oslo in 1954. He is one of the few musicians who plays traditional music from the county of Agder. He is first and foremost a Hardanger fiddler (the Norwegian fiddle with drone strings, as heard on Devil’s Tune) but he also plays jew’s harp and two kinds of Norwegian flute.
After many years of collaboration on other musicians’ projects, this multi-instrumentalist finally released his first solo CD “Ånon” in 1999. The music on the CD is based on the Agder tradition, and Ånon Egeland conveys this message through his own unique “Ånon sound”.
Accompanying Ånon on his tours is Leiv Solberg on mandola and guitar. Leiv has been playing with Ånon for over 20 years, so their work together is nearly telepathic.
* I heitaste slåtten , with Per Midtstigen (Grappa Musikkforlag HCD 7071, 1977. Reissued on CD in 1999)
* Norske strøk, with Per Midtstigen (Grappa Musikkforlag HK 7014, 1982)
* For borgere og bønder, with Hans Olav Gorset (Norsk Kulturråd/Polygram NKFCD 50025-2, 1989)
* Höök, with Magnus Gustavsson, Mikael Marin, Susanne Rosenberg and Mads Olovsson (Drone DROCD007, 1995)
* Folk Music from Norway, with various artists (Grappa Musikkforlag HCD 7078, 1993)
* Musikk fra Christopher Hammers tid, with L. Klevstrand, Knut Johannesen, L. Solberg and others (Included with the book “Christopher Hammer Norsk Kogebog 1793” (Hroar Dege Landbruksforlaget, 1994)
* Segner Syng with Ragnhild Furholt (Grappa Musikkforlag HCD 7128, 1997)
* Norsk Folkemusikk 2 (Agder) (Grappa Musikkforlag GRCD4062, 1997)
* Skjemt og sjanti, with Frode Nyvold (Grappa Musikkforlag HCD 7137, 1998)
* Ånon (Grappa Musikkforlag HCD 7136, 1999 / USA: NorthSide NSD6037, 1999)
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music and progressive music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music and electronic music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World, Lektronic Soundscapes, and Mindchild Records. He was also the executive producer of the first Latino feature film made in North Carolina titled “Los sueños de Angélica.”.