San Diego (California), USA – WorldBeat Cultural Center has made an urgent call for donations. The center is accepting donations to be caravanned down to regions of the Gulf Coast, devastated by Hurricane Katrina, including Lafayette, Louisiana, as main location for relief. According to a WorldBeat Cultural Center spokesman, “This area is not being assisted by the government.””At this time it is crucial that we come together and support our people. Aid is short if at all and we must take action ourselves.”
The following donations are of the most need:
* 3 Trucks (Any type of big truck, transport, moving van, etc.)
* Food and water (The United way is strapped for resources and is not accepting
cash donations. People are without food and water.)
* Pet food: dog & cat food (Animals have no food and people could not leave
* Housing (thousands of people are homeless and will be for months.)
* Clothing (pants, jackets, socks, shoes, diapers, baby cloths, etc)
Donations will be accepted during the benefit show. The concert starts at 8:30pm
and is located at WorldBeat Cultural Center in Balboa Park, Park Blvd, San Diego
Links to relief organizations:
acorn.org’s Hurricane Recovery and Rebuilding Fund (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now).
New Orleans Musicians Clinic (NOMC). Send donations to NOMC Emergency Fund.
Funds will be distributed by:
gbgm-umc.org/umcor, United Methodist Committee
national.unitedway.org, United Way Hurricane Katrina Response Fund.
Author: World Music Central News Department
World music news from the editors at World Music Central