San Francisco, USA – Stern Grove Festival announced its 67th Season of 10 admission-free concerts that will take place every Sunday at 2:00 p.m. from June 13 through August 15, 2004 at San Francisco’s Sigmund Stern Grove (19th Avenue and Sloat Boulevard).
This year, the festival continues to make good on a promise made to the entire Bay Area community in 1938–to present a selection of the world’s best performing arts each summer, completely admission-free.
There will be a world-premiere recomposition of Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue;” the Regina Carter Quintet with the innovative Tin Hat Trio; Mexican-American singer Lila Downs; Algerian singer Souad Massi; Senegal’s Youssou N’Dour and highlife sensations West African Highlife Band;
Indian percussionist Trilok
Gurtu; Gamelan Sekar Jaya with performers from Bali; world-beat producers Ex-Centric Sound System and
Mercan Dede; the San
Francisco Symphony; blues with the John Hammond Trio and eclectic Robert Bradley’s Blackwater Surprise; the Long Beach Opera Company; and the San Francisco Ballet.
The Festival also presents innovative outreach and education programs for kids, pre-concert artist talks, historic walking tours, and other activities at the 33-acre Sigmund Stern Grove.Schedule:
* Sunday, June 13: The Regina Carter Quintet and Tin Hat Trio
* Sunday, June 20: San Francisco Symphony with Edwin Outwater conducting
works by Stravinsky, Dvorak, and Mussorgsky/Rimsky-Korsakov
* Sunday, June 27: Long Beach Opera with conductor Andreas Mitisek, performing Astor Piazzolla’s tango operita “Maria de Buenos Aires”
* Sunday, July 4: Anthony Brown’s Asian American Orchestra and Melody of China, performing a world premiere recomposition of Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue”
* Sunday, July 11: Mexican-American singer Lila Downs and Algerian singer Souad Massi
* Sunday, July 18: Electrifying Senegalese vocalist Youssou N’ Dour and The Super Etoile de Dakar and local favorite West African Highlife Band
* Sunday, July 25: Indian percussionist Trilok Gurtu and local ensemble Gamelan Sekar Jaya with performers from Bali
* Sunday, August 1: World-beat producers Mercan Dede and Ex-Centric Sound System
* Sunday, August 8: San Francisco Ballet, Helgi Tomasson, Artistic Director
* Sunday, August 15: Blues sensations the John Hammond Trio and Robert Bradley’s Blackwater Surprise
Admission is free. No tickets or reservations are required.