Tomás San Miguel was born in Vitoria (Spain) in 1953. He is living presently in Madrid, working as a pianist, composer and an accomplished accordionist.
He recorded piano and flute duos with flamenco flutist and saxophonist Jorge Pardo, on the album Life in Cathedrals.
San Miguel has composed numerous soundtracks and themes, including themes for Spanish National Radio (RNE), the movie score for Big City Blues by Clive Fleury with Burt Reynolds and Balthasar Getty (USA, 1997), TV series such as Para Elisa (1992) and Muerte a Destiempo (1990).
He recorded a trilogy of recordings accompanied by the chalaparta, a Basque percussion instrument. The trilogy includes Dan Txa, Lezao and Ten.
* Esta Noche, with Gerardo Núñez (21 Records 1985)
* Vida en catedrales Life in Cathedrals, with Jorge Pardo (Sonifolk, 1991)
* Lezao, Tomas San Miguel + Txalaparta (Spain: Nuevos Medios, 1993 / USA: Narada, 1993)
* De dos en dos, with Jorge Pardo (Nuevos Medios, 1995)
* Q, Soundtrack (Andanzas, 1996)
* Ten, Tomas San Miguel + Txalaparta (Spain: Nuevos Medios / USA: Narada, 1998)
* Nuevos Medios Coleccion – 20 años, best of, (Nuevos Medios, 2002)
* In the flight of life En el vuelo de la vida, double (MusiMagic, 2003)
* Dan Txa (Musimagic, 2005)
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music and progressive music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel produced several specials for Metropolis (TVE) and co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music and electronic music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World, Lektronic Soundscapes, and Mindchild Records. Angel is currently based in Durham, North Carolina.