Diablos Del Ritmo – The Colombian Melting Pot 1960-1985 (Analog Africa, 2012)
Here’s an exciting double CD (also available in vinyl format) of African influenced Colombian music as well as Afro-Colombian sounds.
The vital port city of Barranquilla, located in Colombia’s Atlantic coast, was and still is the gateway for many good and cultural influences. Sailors, travelers and local DJs and musicians brought recordings from the vibrant music scenes in Nigeria, Congo, The Ivory Coast and Cuba. Local musicians mixed these sounds from abroad with Colombian roots music as well as funk and psychedelic music. The result was some of the most exciting Afro-rooted dance music in South America.
Diablos Del Ritmo can trace back its history to March 2007 when Analog Africa founder Samy Ben Redjeb arrived in Barranquilla. He returned several times to collect more music and amassed an impressive collection of vinyl recordings, especially from the 1970s. Redjeb organized the music into two parts. Disc 1 features Afrobeat, Afrofunk, terapia, lumbalú and psychedelia-inspired songs. Disc 2 presents an assortment of danceable tropical rhythms, including puya, porro, gaita, cumbiamba, mapelé and chandé.
Some of the songs include the easily recognizable sounds of the accordion, which is a very popular musical instrument in Colombian tropical and folk music. The collection includes well-known artists that were very popular in the past and are still very popular with many Colombians (see track listing below).
The producers of the album explain how two essential elements contributed to the popularity and growth of this African-influenced music scene. One was the picó sound systems – traveling street clubs that played the music of Africa, the Caribbean and the rest of the transatlantic black culture. The second were visionary record producers. Discos Tropical, Felito Records and Machuca released and distributed recordings of the psychedelic and coastal music scene of Colombia.
Diablos Del Ritmo – The Colombian Melting Pot 1960-1985 is an irresistible collection of Afro-rooted Colombian music.
1. El Caterete – Wganda Kenya – Wganda Kenya
2. Enyere Kumbara – Julian y su Combo – Julian y su combo
3. Amampondo – Myrian Makenwa – Myrian Makenwa
4. Wasamaye – Wasamaye Rock Group – Wasamaye Rock Group
5. Shallcarri – Grupo Abharca – Grupo Abharca
6. Bajo El Trupillo Guajiro – Sexteto Manaure – Sexteto Manaure
7. Pégale a La Nalga – Fuentes All Stars – Fuentes All Stars
8. Juipiti – Grupo Folclórico – Grupo Folclorico
9. Shakalaodé – Wganda Kenya – Wganda Kenya
10. Amor Salvaje – Los Salvajes – Los Salvajes
11. Lumbalu – Calixto Ochoa y Los Papaupas – Calixto Ochoa y Los Papaupas
12. Quiero Mi Gente – Abelardo Carbono – Aberlardo Carbono
13. Cumbia San Pablera – Conjunto Son San – Conjunto Son San
14. Calambre – Conjunto Barbacoa – Conjunto Barbacoa
1. Eco en Stereo – Sonora Dinamita – Sonora Dinamita
2. La Veterana – Peyo Torres y sus Diablos del Ritmo – Peyo Torres y sus Diablos del Ritmo
3. Lluvia – Sonora Tropical – Sonora Tropical
4. La Cascada – Pianonegro – Pianonegro
5. Busca La Careta – Andrés Landero – Andres Landero
6. Cumbia Costeña – Alejandro Durán – Alejandro Duran
7. La Pava Congona – Andrés Landero – Andres Landero
8. Agoniza El Magdalena – Ramiro Beltrán – Ramiro Beltran
9. Santana en Salsa – Cresencio Camacho – Cresencio Camacho
10. La Motilona – Los Alegres Diablos – Los Alegres Diablos
11. El Garabato – Cumbia Soledeña – Cumbia Soledena
12. Cumbia Cincelejana – J. Alvear – J. Alvear
13. La Nena – Juan Piña Y su Muchachos – Juan Pina y su Muchachos
14. Sabrosón – Roberto de la Barrerra y su Piano – Roberto de la Barrerra y su Piano
15. La Bulla – Los Curramberos de Guayabal – Los Curramberos de Guayabal
16. La Pegajosa – Conjunto Típico del Valledupar – Conjunto tipico del Valledupar
17. Fantasías Del Carnaval – Carmelo Gutiérrez Y Su Conjunto – Carmelo Gutierrez y su Conjuncto
18. Pájaro Madrugador – Alfredo Gutiérrez y sus Estrellas – Alfredo Gutierrez y sus Estrellas
Buy Diablos Del Ritmo – The Colombian Melting Pot 1960-1985 in North America
Buy Diablos Del Ritmo – The Colombian Melting Pot 1960-1985 in Europe
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel produced several TV specials for Metropolis (TVE) and co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World.