Some of the musicians scheduled to perform at the 2011 edition of the Rainforest World Music Festival (Sarawak, Malaysia), warmed up on July 6th at the official hotel, the One Hotel Santubong. Musicians from various bands, including Joaquin Diaz‘s (Dominican Republic/Canada), Mamak Khadem‘s (Iran/U.S.A.), Kamafei (Italy), Kenge Kenge (Kenya), and Blue Canyon Boys (United States of America) jammed at the hotel bar for several hours.
The 14th Rainforest World Music Festival begins this evening with a reception in Kuching. Concerts start tomorrow, July 8th and will run until July 10th. This inspiring musical and cultural celebration of contemporary and traditional world music takes place under the imposing shadow of Mount Santubong, and in the midst of a virgin rainforest at the edge of the South China Sea. As well as evening performances on the main stage, there are afternoon workshops, lectures, jam sessions and smaller concerts.
For purchase/booking/enquiries please visit www.ticketcharge.com.my or call ticketCharge Hotline: +6 03-9222 8811 or at TicketCharge @ No 42A-1, Jalan Metro Pudu, Fraser Business Park, Off Jalan Yew, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You may also purchase tickets from TicketCharge outlets namely Chambers Music, Telventure Sdn Bhd, Rock Corner all in the Klang Valley or at Speedy Outlets throughout the country.
Tickets also on sale at Sarawak Tourism Board’s Visitors Information Centres in Kuching (082-410944), Sibu (084-340980) and Miri (085-434180).
For more details, log on to www.rainforestmusic-borneo.com.
Read the whole Rainforest World Music Festival 2011 series:
Interview with Dato’ Rashid Khan, Advisor to the Rainforest World Music Festival
- Jammings Begin at Rainforest World Music Festival 2011
- Rainforest World Music Festival 2011 Holds Tree Planting Ceremony
- Rainforest World Music Festival Kicks Off at Kuching Waterfront
- The Workshops Are the Heart of the Rainforest World Music Festival
- The Wondrous World of Leweton Women’s Water Music
- Sounds of Malaysia and Global Beats on July 8th at Rainforest World Music Festival 2011
- European Innovators and Merengue Fire on July 9th at Rainforest World Music Festival
- Grand Finale at 2011 Rainforest World Music Festival
- Post Rainforest World Music Festival: On to Kuching
- Post Rainforest World Music Festival, Encounter with the Orangutans
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel produced several TV specials for Metropolis (TVE) and co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World.