World music trade show WOMEX announced today the first set of artists that will be performing at its coveted showcases. WOMEX 2011 will be held Wednesday October 26 through Sunday October 30, 2011, in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The WOMEX 2011 jury reviewed more than 750 proposals to cram into just three dozen Showcase slots. “The WOMEX Jury’s task was more challenging than ever before and countless hours were spent discussing hundreds of high quality proposals,” said a WOMEX press release.
The second and third sets of artists will be announced in the next weeks.
First set confirmed acts:
– Antti Paalanen (Finland)
– Bombino (Niger)
– Celso Piña (Mexico)
– Duquende (Spain)
– Ibrahim Maalouf (Lebanon/France)
– Jelena Jakubovitch (Russia/Sweden)
– JuJu (Justin Adams and Juldeh Camara) (UK/Gambia)
– Máirtín O’Connor Band (Ireland)
– Mansum Ibrahimov Ensemble Garabagh (Azerbaijan)
– Matuto (USA/Brazil)
– Özlem Taner (Turkey)
– Shunsuke Kimura x Etsuro Ono (Japan)
– Sotho Sounds (Lesotho)
– Systema Solar (Colombia)
– The Other Europeans (Moldova/Hungary/Bulgaria/France/UK/USA/Germany)
– Blue Flamingo (The Netherlands)
– Kosta Kostov (Bulgaria/Germany)
More about WOMEX at http://www.womex.com
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel produced several TV specials for Metropolis (TVE) and co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World.