Sondeseu Folk Orchestra
Barlovento (Do Fol, 2010)
Sondeseu is one of the leading folk orchestras in Europe. A folk orchestra is a large ensemble (similar to a classical music orchestra) composed of traditional musical instruments. Sondeseu specializes in the folk music and musical instruments of Galicia (Spain).
Led by a leading figure in Galician folk music, Rodrigo Romani, the Sondeseu Folk Orchestra includes forty musicians from the Traditional Music Conservatory of the Arts School of Vigo (now known as “E-Trad”). The folk orchestra includes hurdy gurdies (zanfonas), harps (arpas), bagpipes (gaitas), requinto flutes, fiddles, percussion (frame drums and tambourines) and vocal sections.
Barlovento (Windward) is the orchestra’s latest release. The beautiful recording presents traditional Galician pieces with captivating new arrangements by Rodrigo Romani, Anxo Pintos and Xaquín Xesteira. The richness of the instrumentation creates variety of moods, that range from lively and climactic pieces rooted in folk dances to the serene.
SonDeSeu’s musicians include:
- Rodrigo Romaní as general manager
- Zanfona (hurdy gurdy) section – Director: Anxo Pintos. Musicians: Sandra Fernández, Paula García, Paz Martínez, Iván Costa, Liliana Carro, María Muras and Teresa Gómez
- Harp section – Director: Rodrigo Romaní. Musicians: Fran Martínez, Alba Barreiro, David Muñiz, Laura Barreiro, OlallaVidal, Lorena Reinaldo and Beatriz Martínez
- Bagpipe section – Director: Xaquín Xesteira. Musicians: Juan Carlos Pardo, Raquel Domínguez, Miguel Fraguas, Sito Muiños, Xurxo Antúnez, Xose L. Sanromán
- Requinta section – Director: Xosé Liz. Musicians: Pilar Vieira, Fernando Pérez, Xaime Rebollo
- Fiddle (violin) section – Director: Alfonso Franco. Musicians: Begoña Riobó, Alfonso Merino, Paco Táboas, Nuria Zunzunegui, Miguel A. Rodríguez, Jose Varela, Felipe Rodicio
- Percussion – Director: Xaquín Xesteira. Musicians: Anxo Pardo, Marilú Campos, Eva González, Xavier Figueroa
- Vocal section – Director: Francisco J. Feijoó, “Chisco”. Musicians: Xela Conde, Gloria Pérez, Ana Domínguez, Lourdes Queimadelos, Teresa Santamaría, Noelia Vázquez, Eva González, Leticia Rodríguez, Laura López, Rosa Martínez, Raquel Valcarce, Itzíar Solar, Sara Malvido
Barlovento is a stellar recording by one of the finest folk orchestras in Europe.
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel produced several TV specials for Metropolis (TVE) and co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World.