Rob Curto’s Forró For All will be touring in California in January of 2007 performing at venues such as: the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles, and the University of California Santa Barbara.
Rob Curto’s Forró For All is a band dedicated to the sound of Northeastern Brazil’s traditional “forró pé de serra”, performed with a sensibility born of New York City’s diverse and dynamic musical culture.
Forró For All’s founder, accordionist Rob Curto, mixes elements of jazz with a language and feel that is distinctly Brazilian. Rob has spent years intimately involved with the music and culture of the Brazilian Northeast working as a musician in Brazil, and has developed a reputation there as an extremely skillful and artistic forró accordionist.
Curto studied with great accordionists from Pernambuco, Brazil such as Arlindo dos Oito Baixos, Camarão and Silveirinha, and with guitarist Alencar 7-Cordas from Paraíba. Rob keeps as his bible the work of Dominguinhos (with whom he has performed), Sivuca, Oswaldinho, Hermeto Pascoal and of course the great innovator of forró, Luiz Gonzaga. His work also includes playing and collaboration with heavy-weights of world music such as LilaDowns, David Krakauer, Cyro Baptista, Frank London and Omar Faruk Tekbilek.
Joining Curto on this 2007 tour of California are: New York percussionist Scott Kettner, Eliano Bráz from Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil on vocals and violin; drummer Rogerio Boccato from São Paulo; and Mike LaValle, also from New York, on bass.
Forró for All’s website is: www.forroforall.com , and they can also be found on Myspace: www.myspace.com/forroforall.
Forró For All recently toured the U.S. and Canada, being featured at prestigious venues such as the Chicago World Music Festival, the Madison World Music Festival, the Lotus Festival in Bloomington, Indiana, the Carrefour mondial de l’accordeón in Montmagny, Quebec, and at the Ordway Center for the Performing Arts in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Performances in California January 2007:
- Wednesday, Jan.10th Institute of the Americas (LaJolla, on the campus of UC San Diego)Rob Curto’s Forró For All performs in conjunction with an exhibition of “literatura de cordel” folk art from Northeast Brazil. Free admission. 6:30 PM-9:45 PM Contact: (858) 453-5560.
- Thursday, Jan.11th 8:00 PM Skirball Cultural Center (Los Angeles, 2701 No. Sepulveda Blvd.)Part of “Compressing the World” a concert series of international accordion music. $25 General, $20 Skirball Members, and $15 Full-time students. Contact: (310) 440-4500. www.skirball.org
- Friday, Jan.12th 8:00 PM UC Santa Barbara Multicultural Center
Theatre (Santa Barbara, in the University Center of UC Santa Barbara)
Tickets are $15 general admission and $5 for UCSB students Contact: (805)
- Sunday, Jan.14th . 8:00 PM E3 Playhouse (Santa Cruz, 435 Front St.)
Tickets: $10 advance $13 at door. Contact: 831.427.5531
- Tuesday, Jan.16th 9:00 PM Elbo Room (San Francisco, 647 Valencia Street)
Tickets are $10. Contact the Elbo Room at: (415) 552-7788:
www.elbo.com. Forró For All will be opening for Bay Area favorite: Nobody from Ipanema.