Bruce Molsky is one of the most influential old time fiddlers in the United States. Molsky is also an outstanding guitarist, banjoist and singer. His music incorporates the mountain sounds of Appalachia, the energy of blues and the rhythms of traditional African music.
Bruce has performed and recorded with acclaimed musicians such as Martin Hayes, Darol Anger, Alasdair Fraser, the Waverly Consort and Mike Seeger.
His acclaimed solo recording Poor Man’s Troubles (Rounder) has become a standard for old time music enthusiasts everywhere.
Bruce has been featured on the popular A Prairie Home Companion public radio show and as a guest artist on recordings with Darol Anger and the early music ensemble Hesperus, among many others. He toured the U.K. with internationally renowned fiddler Kevin Burke and others on the Fiddles of Fire tour. Bruce is also an accompanist with the percussive dance ensemble Footworks.
Influential old time musicians Tommy Jarrell and Albert Hash were two of Bruce’s mentors in the Blue Ridge Mountains where he first learned to play. Thanks in part to time spent with these old masters, Bruce has earned numerous awards at fiddle and banjo contests around the southern United States.
Bruce is a highly in demand fiddle and banjo teacher, and teaches his own intensive fiddle workshop program throughout the United States. He is a regular instructor at Augusta Heritage Center, Jay Ungar & Molly Mason’s Ashokan Music Camp, Alasdair Fraser’s Valley of the Moon Scottish Fiddle Camp and others.
To get a feel of one of Bruce Molsky’s performances, read World Music Central’s Bruce Molsky – a Show Review from Madison, Wisconsin.
* Take Me As I Am, with Bob Carlin (1990)
* Lost Boy (Rounder Records CDROUN0361, 1996)
* Bruce Molsky & Big Hoedown (Rounder Records, 1997)
* Poor Man’s Troubles (Rounder Records CDROUN0470, 2000)
* Fiddlers 4, with Michael Doucet, Darol Anger and Rushad Eggleston (Compass Records, 2002)
* Contented Must Be (Rounder Records CDROUN0534, 2004)
* Soon Be Time (Compass Records, 2006)
* It Ain’t Here When I Get Back (Tree Frog Music TF 1301, 2013)
* 1865 – Songs of the Civil War , with Anonymous 4 (Harmonia Mundi, 2015)
* Can’t Stay Here This A-Way (Old Time Tiki Parlour Recordings 006, 2016)
* Rauland Rambles, with Arto Järvelä and Ånon Egeland (Taragot, 2016)
Web Site www.brucemolsky.com
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music and progressive music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music and electronic music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World, Lektronic Soundscapes, and Mindchild Records. He was also the executive producer of the first Latino feature film made in North Carolina titled “Los sueños de Angélica.”.