Welcome to another eclectic round the world music adventure which starts with an Algerian Moroccan collaboration, Karim Said ex Weather Report and his long time friend Hamid El Kasri are using jazz and gnawa traditions as they make music under the moniker of Yobadi. We continue in a Sufi style with Earth Sync’s latest release The Nagore Sessions.
Our album of the week, Burn (Makasound), comes from Lek Sen who combines rap, reggae and mbalax. He now resides in Paris and is originally from Senegal. We stay in Senegal with Naby, formerly of Positive Black Soul. His album Dem Naa is on heavy rotation back here at GondwanaTowers.
There’s a free download from Chris Valen and the Sierra Leone Refugee All Stars, a preview track from Manchester based the Jadid Ensemble’s debut album and we finish on a tropical flourish playing a cut from the eagerly awaited Sofrito crew’s compilation followed by the biggest selling soca record ever… hope you hear something you enjoy.
1. Amadou and Mariam – M’Bif Balafon – Dimanche a Bamako – Because – Mali
2. Karim Said & Hamid El Kasri – Yobadi – Yobadi – Accords Croises – Algeria/Morroco
3. Abdul Ghani, Ajah Maideen and Subarmaideen Babha – The Saint – Nagore Sessions – Earth Sync – South India
4. Lek Sen – Rebel Blues – Burn – Maka Sound – Senegal
5. Naby – Dem Naa – Dem Naa – Iris Music – Senegal
6. Jadid Ensemble – Ascension – Sigh of the Moor – self published – UK
7. Lek Sen – Massamba – Burn – Maka Sound – Senegal
8. Chris Valen and the Sierra Leone Refugee All Stars – Inez – free download Chris Valen.com
9. Mighty Shadow – Dat Soca Boat – Sofrito presents Tropical Discoteque – Strut – worldwide
10. Arrow – Hot HOt Hot – 12″ Disco Classics – Sequel – Trinidad
11. Lek Sen – –Burn – Maka Sound – Senegal
Podcast available here
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music and progressive music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel produced several specials for Metropolis (TVE) and co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music and electronic music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World, Lektronic Soundscapes, and Mindchild Records. Angel is currently based in Durham, North Carolina.