Palenque Palenque! Champeta Criolla & Afro Roots in Colombia 1975-91 (Soundway Records, 2010)
This outstanding collection reveals the new hybrid Afro Colombian music known as champeta criolla that was developed in Barranquilla and Cartagena (Caribbean Colombia) in the 1970s. Champeta was created when local DJs and “picos” (sound systems, sometimes mounted on trucks and vans) introduced recordings from Africa and the Caribbean, genres such as highlife, afrobeat, compas, and soukous.
By the early 1980s, local musicians had developed their own type of African rooted music, creating a form of percussion heavy Colombian Afrobeat music that sometimes incorporates Afro Colombian styles such as cumbia.
The music selection on Palenque Palenque!, which ranges from 1975-1991 is excellent and provides a wide overview of the vitality of champeta criolla. The album was co-compiled by Colombian producer Lucas Silva of Palenque Records and Miles Cleret of Soundway Records. The vinyl version comes as a triple LP with two extra bonus tracks.
Palenque Palenque! is an irresistible album of some of the best Afro Colombian made in the Caribbean coast of Colombia.
1. Manuel Alvarez y Sus Dangers – Esclavo Moderno
2. Cassimbas Negras – Bumburumbumbum
3. Abelardo Carbonó y su Conjunto – Palenque
4. Son Palenque – Tungalala (El Sapo)
5. Cumbia Siglo XX – Naga Pedale
6. Wganda Kenya – Pim Pom
7. Banda Los Hijos de La Niña Luz – Dejala Corre
8. Pedro Beltran – Puyalo Ahi
9. Cumbia Moderna De Soledad– Tetero
10. Abelardo Carbonó y su Conjunto – Quiero a Mi Gente
11. Lisandro Meza y su Conjunto – Shacalao
12. Son Palenque – Palengue Palengue
13. Abelardo Carbanó – La Negra Kulengue
14. La Tromba – Calaba Calabao
15. Los Soneros de Gamero – Katunga
16. Rabel y su Grupo – Manaye
17. La Nelda Pina – El Sucusu
18. Wganda Kenya – El Lobo
19. Son Palenque – Dame Un Trago
20. Grupo Palma Africana – La Botellita
21. Wganda Kenya – Yoro
Buy the album
- In North America: Palenque Palenque!, (CD) Palenque Palenque (Vinyl)
- In Europe: Palenque Palenque (CD), Palenque Palenque (Vinyl)
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music and progressive music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music and electronic music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World, Lektronic Soundscapes, and Mindchild Records. He was also the executive producer of the first Latino feature film made in North Carolina titled “Los sueños de Angélica.”.