Senegal – Echo Musical (Syllart, 2010)
Senegal – Echo Musical is part of the African Pearls collection that is bringing back the exciting music that West African musicians were producing in the 1970s. This double CD contains material by legendary Senegalese bands that had a profound impression in African music and world music in general. These pioneering artists incorporated Senegalese rhythms, Afro-Cuban genres such as son and mambo, and American soul and funk. They fused acoustic and electric instruments, creating new hybrids.
The album includes many influential artists, such as Super Diamono, Star Band de Dakar, Youssou N’Dour and Super Etoile de Dakar, Xalam, Gambian band Ifang Bondi, Gorom and many more. The CD booklet, which has liner notes in English and French, describes the time period and includes photos of album covers and musicians.
Senegal – Echo Musical is an essential introduction to music of one of West Africa’s musical powerhouses during the creative 1970s.
* Super Diamono – Adama Ndiaye
* Ngewal International de Dakar – Sama Ngoro Ak Suma Peulh Bi
* Star Band de Dakar – Mbassa
* Etoile de Dakar – Ngone Ndiaye
* Waato Siita – Bajuda
* Orchestre Guelewar de Banjul – Kelefa Sane
* Xalam – Alal
* Youssou N’Dour and Super Etoile de Dakar – Atou
* Super Diamono – Indu Wade
* Ifang Bondi – Sutukum
* Star Band de Dakar – Thioro Baye Samba
* Gorom – Dounga Kagne Laye Sey
* Gorom – Ayaye Bimbam
* Orchestra Baobab – Aaduna Jarul Niawo
* Canari de Kaolack – Sutukum
* Star Number One de Dakar – Kouye Wout
* Xalam – Bere Baxu Gor
* Orchestre Guelewar de Banjul – Wartef Jigen
* Star Band de Dakar – Djiguene Senegal
* Diarama de Saint-Louis – Touba Mbacke
* Xalam – Yumbeye
* Ouza – Teranga
* Super Diamono – Madiara Ngone
* Le Sahel – Khandiou
Author: Angel Romero
Angel Romero y Ruiz has been writing about world music and progressive music for many years. He founded the websites worldmusiccentral.org and musicasdelmundo.com. Angel co-produced “Musica NA”, a music show for Televisión Española (TVE) in Spain that featured an eclectic mix of world music, fusion, electronica, new age and contemporary classical music. Angel also produced and remastered world music and electronic music albums, compilations and boxed sets for Alula Records, Ellipsis Arts, Music of the World, Lektronic Soundscapes, and Mindchild Records. He was also the executive producer of the first Latino feature film made in North Carolina titled “Los sueños de Angélica.”.