Rachel Unthank & The Winterset will head to the United States this September for their debut American tour. The critically-acclaimed English female quartet features sisters Rachel and Becky Unthank, whose intimate vocals combine for a startlingly innovative new sound. The group is nominated for the UK’s prestigious Mercury Prize,
Raised in northern England singing traditional folk repertoire, the Unthank sisters developed a harmonizing style of spine-tingling clarity. Their first Real World release, The Bairns features spare instrumentation and a haunting, moody sound that transforms traditional material. The band also presents a fresh take on new folk, with two originals and surprising interpretations such as Robert Wyatt’s aching ‘Sea Song.’
The Bairns earned the band the coveted Horizon Award at the BBC Folk Awards and was named one of the top 10 folk albums of 2007 by Mojo, UK Channel 4, fRoots and the Daily Telegraph.
Rachel Unthank & The Winterset’s 10-city North American tour begins on September 18, bringing them through the Midwest, Toronto and to the East Coast.
- Sept 18, CSPS, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Sept 19, Cedar Cultural Center, Minneapolis, MN
- Sept 20-21, Chicago World Music Festival , Chicago, IL
- Sept 22, The Ark, Ann Arbor, MI
- Sept 23, Hugh’s Room, Toronto
- Sept 25, Iron Horse, Northampton, MA
- Sept 26, Joe’s Pub, New York, NY
- Sept 28, World Café Live, Philadelphia, PA
- Sept 29, Jammin’ Java, Vienna, VA
- Sept 30, T.T. & The Bears, Cambridge, MA
Buy The Bairns