Tucson (Arizona), USA – Sitarist Anoushka Shankar will perform Friday, March 28 at the University of Arizona (UA). The concert will feature a mix of music from Rise, traditional Indian ragas and acoustic tracks off her newest album Breathing Under Water. Anoushka Shankar is already considered to be one of the finest sitar players in the world. She shares an amazing bond with her father Ravi Shankar. Anoushka is, in fact, the only musician in the world to be trained solely by Ravi. She has been equally respectful of her legacy and destiny, but bound to neither.
Though coming from an impeccable musical pedigree, she is an innovator in her own right. Ms. Shankar moves beyond the classical tradition of her father, mixing up a broad range of world music styles and instruments. By fusing flamenco piano, Indian slide guitar, electronic sounds, and, of course, sitar, she has created a sensual, ethereal new sound.
Friday, March 28, 2008 @ 8 pm
Centennial Hall, 1020 E. University Blvd on the campus of the UA
Full price: $42, $30, $18 with Student, Senior, Group and Military discounts
Tickets by phone: (520) 621-3341; TTY: (520) 626-3980
UApresents Box Office Locations:
- Centennial Hall, M-F, 10am to 6pm, Saturday, 12pm to 5pm and Sunday 12pm-4pm
- UA Student Union BookStore, M-F, 10am-5:30pm and Saturday, 12pm-4:30pm
- UA Visitor’s Center, M-F, 10am-5pm
- The “A” Store at Tucson Mall
- Monday-Saturday, 10am-9pm and Sunday, 11am-6pm
- On the Web: www.uapresents.org