Phoenix (Arizona), USA – The Native American Music Awards (NAMA) has announced this years nominations and Canyon Records has received a total of 21 nominations. Winners will be announced at the Ninth Annual Awards on Saturday, October 6th, 2007 at the Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel in Niagara Falls, New York.
This year, over 180 national recordings were submitted for nomination consideration making this year’s tally a new record high for the organization. Eligible recordings had to have been commercially released from September 15th, 2005 thru December 31st, 2006.
Nominees include:· R. Carlos Nakai, Cliff Sarde, William Eaton & Randy Wood – Reconnections (Best New Age Album)
· Robert Tree Cody – Heart of the Wind (Flutist of the Year)
· Robert Tree Cody & Will Clipman – Heart of the Wind (Best New Age Album)
· Radmilla Cody – Precious Friends (Best Female Artist and Best Linguistic Album)
· Northern Cree – Stay Red (Duo or Group of the Year)
· Northern Cree & Friends – Long Winter Nights (Best Pow-Wow Album)
· Jay Begaye – The Colorful World (Best Male Artists)
· Gerald Primeaux, Sr. – Voice of a Dakota (Best Native American Church Album)
· Elk Soldier – A Soldier’s Dream (Best Pow-Wow Album)
· Pipestone – Good Ol’ Fashioned NDN Lovin’ (Record of the Year, Duo or Group of the Year Best & Traditional Album)
· Joe Shields (Wahancanka) – Remember Me, Grandfather (Best Historical Album)
· Aaron White – Blue Stone (Songwriter of the Year)
· Glen Ahhaitty – True Lies from the Road (Songwriter of the Year)
· Todi Neesh Zhee Singers – Dancers of Mother Earth (Best Traditional Album)
· Pima Express – Time Waits for No One (Best Country Album)
· David Nighteagle – Torn from the Heart -The Journey (Best Folk Album)
· Peter Phippen – Shadows of Dawn (Native Heart)
· Stephen Butler – Reconnections (Best Producer)
Winners will be determined through national membership mail-in ballots and through a national on-line campaign that is open to the public at www.nammys.com.