New York (NY), USA – Bob Marley’s masterpiece Exodus celebrates its 30th anniversary this summer, and will be commemorated with the release of an exclusive new version of the album. Starting today, limited edition copies of the recording will be available on USB Memory Stick via Bob Marley’s official website www.bobmarley.com. The event marks the very first artist-specific album to be released using this groundbreaking format.
Exodus catches Marley at the height one of his most introspective, rebellious and creative periods, and it will now continue to make history by offering an alternative way for fans to purchase music, introducing them to the exciting technology available in today’s music marketplace. In addition to the launch of this new format, the multi-layered promotion will also include a variety of added value and content to be released via Bob Marley’s official site.4000 limited edition reusable USB Memory Sticks feature not only the 10 original songs on Exodus but also audio and video content, including three video tracks recorded at London’s Rainbow Theatre in June 1977. Fans that join the Bob Marley Passport Fan Club via www.bobmarley.com will receive the Exodus USB and also receive an exclusive carrying case, a 10% discount at the Bob Marley shop on the site, as well as a quarterly newsletter. Passport members will also have access to rare Bob Marley audio, video, and photos, as well as future digital media.
Also available June 4th, a variety of new and unique Bob Marley music and memorabilia never officially available before will be accessible for purchase to all Bob Marley site visitors:
* Exodus 30th Anniversary Edition CD- Featuring the 10 tracks on the original release and now reissued as a special 30th Anniversary Edition packaged – for the first time – in a quality ‘hardback’ case.
* Deluxe CD/ DVD- Limited to just 5000 copies, this version features not only the album but also a separate DVD with 12 tracks from Marley’s historic Rainbow concerts in the summer of 1977.
* LP- The return of the original and legendary10-track vinyl album, as first released in June 1977.
* Exodus 30th Anniversary Book- A new special edition 144-page hardback book that is lavishly illustrated with many previously unpublished pictures and includes contributions from such writers as the esteemed commentator and critic Richard Williams, Lloyd Bradley (author of the acclaimed Bass Culture), Vivien Goldman, Robert Christgau, Neil Spencer and the celebrated poet Linton Kwesi Johnson. The book, which features over 200 images, is introduced by Chris Blackwell, the founder of Island Records.
* Exodus T-shirt based on the original tour T-shirt
Released in 1977, Marley recorded the Exodus album in exile. Having escaped an assassination attempt in Jamaica, he arrived in London during the first week of 1977 and set to work recording his fifth studio album. Exodus became the album that transformed Marley’s career, a recording of extraordinary creative maturity which resonated with audiences around the world. The album established Marley as the Third World’s first superstar, a legacy that survives thirty years after the album’s release.
Author: World Music Central News Department
World music news from the editors at World Music Central